Top 6 Tips for Models
My name is Natalia Zurawska. I have been a professional makeup/hair/spfx artist for the last 10 years. You can see my work at www.colourchameleon.com
Here are some of the best tips for models – Enjoy!
1. Take care of your skin! We all know that photoshop is used so much, however there is nothing like having great skin. Drinking lots of water, getting proper sleep as well as washing your face in the morning and before bed as well as moisturizing is key. Do not drink alcohol before a shoot – it makes the makeup slide right off.
Shu Uemura makes an amazing cleansing oil called Ultime 8 Sublime. It features 8 botanical ingredients and gently takes off even the most difficult to remove makeup so easily. I love that the pump locks – so no more spills and it moisturizes as well. Perfect for even the most sensitive skin.
2. Take great care of your teeth – brush and floss. See your dentist regularly and if needed Crest White strips really do www.3dwhite.com/en-ca work wonders.
3. Do not wear nail polish or only a very nude tone – it takes forever to take off and is always required to be taken off unless there is a special shoot. Get manicures on a regular basis.
When doing a quick selfie manicure, apply a base coat first. I love the Mutlicare Base and Topcoat by Revlon. Apply in 3 strokes – one in the middle and 2 (1 on each side) for a streak free application. This makes nail polish stay on longer as well as protect the nail.
Next comes polish. I love the one by O.P.I in Bubblebath. It is the perfect colour for any skin tone. NEVER shake the bottle up and down (it gets the poish up in the lid and that’s why it is so hard to open sometimes), intstead, shuffle it in your hands back and forth. The warmth of your hands will make the polish easier to apply as well. Follow the same steps – 1 stroke in the middle and 2 (1 on each side). It is also much better to add 2 thin coats than a thick one.
Finish with a topcoat for added durability. I also like to paint the underside of the nail to prevent chipping. Allow to dry. If you are in a rush, rinse hands in cool water (it sets the polish quicker and apply a little vegetable oil).
4. I love bronzer! The best tip is to apply with a large powder brush to the areas of the face where the sun would naturally hit you – forehead, nose and chin. Then I like to apply just above the cheekbones with the remainder. Just remember to apply to the body as well, such as collar bones, cleavage and a light dusting on shoulders for a uniform look. Remember to blend well and not use more than 2 shades darker of your skin tone for a natural, beautiful dose of colour.
I love the bronzer by Elizabeth Arden. It comes in a great container where you can use the “dial” to dispense as much as you want. It is also so hygienic (my favorite). I love that you can layer the bronzer as well. The first coat is lightly sun kissed, to a much more deeper look for darker skin tones.
I would have to say that mascara is my one makeup product I could not live without. I love the LashBlast 24 by Cover Girl. It goes on so smoothly for added length as well as volume with no clumps. It also stays put all day – no smudges!
When applying mascara, I like to use a zigzag motion and apply the regular way. I then like to saturate each lash by doing the top of the lashes and finish off application by zigzagging again by the “regular application”. Eyes really do pop. A great tip – if you are out of eye-liner – simply take an eyeliner brush and sweep it across your mascara wand – tada! (mascara now becomes eyeliner too). Apply as usual. You can also gently smudge it with a q-tip or finger for a smoky look.
6. For amazing curls – I love hot rollers by Conair.
They add the perfect amount of volume and wave. Let them heat up. Add mousse or heat protector to dry hair. This not only protects the hair, it gets rid of frizzies as well as keeps curl for much longer. I love ones by Tresemme. The 24 hour Body Foaming Mousse is amazing as is the Heat Tamer Protective Spray.
Brush dry hair after you have applied the mousse or heat tamer spray. Begin applying rollers from the top of your head, rolling inwards, making sure the ends are tucked in, yet not crimped. A “brick pattern” works best. The pieces of hair should easily fit the width of the roller. Secure with a clamp (included in the roller set).
Let the curlers cool – this is also a great time to start your makeup application).
Simply unroll gently, Finger tousle and spray with Tresemme Tres Two Ultra Fine Mist Hairspray. I love Tresemme products as they work so well, and the price is fantastic. Flip head over and spray gently again. Finger tousle some more for the perfect look and leave for about 10 minutes. I always say – “Hair is like cookies” – it needs a few minutes to settle for the perfect style!
Linked In: Natalia Zurawska http://www.linkedin.com/pub/natalia-zurawska/22/b09/410
I have recently come out with a couple of e-books which are available on Amazon
http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcolourcham-20 or Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Colourchameleon
Thanks so much to Model Management